We’re almost 2 months into the entry period for the 2014 Queen’s Awards already! Based on calls and emails the team have received so far, I’ve pulled together some hints and tips that I hope will help you to work through your entry form.
Best of luck!
- Before you start, read the guidance notes. They have lots of relevant advice that will save you time and effort – pdfs are available to download and print.
- Whichever Award you are entering, take a moment to understand ‘the rules’ around criteria and eligibility. For example, the financial year for trading figures covering the final year of an entry must fall between 1 October 2012 and 30 September 2013 and the dates you supply must be in consecutive order and cover a full 12 month period.
- Innovation and Sustainable Development entries need a minimum of 2 full years of commercial figures that must be related to the product/service that is the subject of the entry - the Award is not intended for ‘promising potential but with little or no evidence on revenue return’.
- Don’t be shy, remember this is a competition! The form should contain all the key points you want assessors to know so always make the most of the word count to showcase the company’s or individual’s achievements.
- For Sustainable Development entries in particular, back up statements about, for example, saving energy, recycling etc. with figures and hard facts.
- Press ‘SAVE’ at regular intervals!
- Start early! Don’t wait until the last minute. The gate shuts at midnight on 30 September.
- Entry is by on-line only - you will receive electronic acknowledgement containing your unique reference number once you submit your form.
- Use us! We are here to help and advise. Call the Queen’s Awards helpline with any queries: 020 7215 6880 or email email@example.com.
Subscribe to updates from this blog, or follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn.
Comment by Richard Francis posted on
We are an award winning firm who this year won our SW Region (one of six national regions) Architectural Practice of the Year award for the third year running; it has never previously, anywhere, been won twice. We decided last year that we must seek a wider context for our hunting for work and have to date secured a large College project in Nigeria, a medical facility in Nigeria, two masterplanning opportunities in Mumbai, India, and a Waste to Bio Fuel development in the Philippines. Our invoicing against these projects has just commenced; are we premature in considering entry in this year's Queen's Awards?
Comment by Linda posted on
In terms of the International Trade Award, an entry at this point will be premature I'm afraid, as you need a minimum of 3 years export sales to enter. I wonder if the Innovation or Sustainable Development Award may be relevant though, if what you have been doing so expertly shows new approaches etc. The guidance notes are available on the Queen's Awards site https://queensawards.bis.gov.uk.
Any questions do get back to us via our email firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone on 020 7215 6880. Someone in my team will be only too pleased to help.